The Department of Social Services (DSS) is comprised of the administrative units of the New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA) and the Department of Homeless Services (DHS). HRA is dedicated to fighting poverty and income inequality by providing New Yorkers in need with essential benefits such as Food Assistance and Emergency Rental Assistance. DHS is committed to preventing and addressing homelessness in New York City by employing a variety of innovative strategies to help families and individuals successfully exit shelter and return to self-sufficiency as quickly as possible.
The Office of the DSS First Deputy Commissioner/Executive Project Manager’s Office is recruiting for a IT Project Specialist to function as an Project Manager. The candidates will exercise independent judgment, leads Project delivery teams to ensure the technology and business objectives are aligned and projects are delivered through tactical direction. Also, assist the client area in developing the business case and drafts the project proposal in which the objectives of the project are clearly spelled out; work with business partners to ensure all proper requirements and supporting development deliverables are accounted for and well documented and coordinate the successful completion of each phase of a given project by performing the following:
- Determine if/how changes in project requirements and/or standards impact projects and manage
them the Change Management Process.
- Review estimates performed by others to ensure that they are realistic, complete and clearly
- Ensure that resources assigned to the project have all the tools and information needed to perform
their project tasks; Monitor issues within projects and assists in resolving project conflicts.
- Provide input to the Program to assist in the evaluation of multiple project interdependencies.
- Prepare and present proposals, status reports, and other information to senior management and/
- Facilitate project team meetings, manage agendas and meeting recaps to ensure all project tasks
and goals are being accomplished as expected.
- Develop project schedules, work assignments, target dates and other aspects of assigned projects.
- Delegate assignments to other PMO staff members as appropriate; Evaluate the work performance
of any subordinates and establishes controls for the implementation of project management training
and staff development management operations and initiatives.
- Assist with special projects.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering, human computer interaction, interactive media, digital and graphics design, data visualization, communication or a related field, and four years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the area(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or
2. An associate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering, human computer interaction, interactive media, digital and graphics design, data visualization, communication or a related field, and six years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the area(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or
3. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, and eight years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the area(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or
4. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1", "2", or "3" above.
- Extensive Project Management experience (creating project plans, facilitating meetings, managing a project from start to finish, etc.). - Project management experience supporting medium large-scale enterprise projects. - Exceptional communication skills to communicate at all levels of the organization (this includes written, verbal and visual presentations). - Advanced knowledge of the program and project management methodologies knowledge of both waterfall and agile development methodologies. - Strong situational analysis and decision-making abilities. - Experience with public or private sector operations delivering multi cross dependent services. - Experience with NYC agencies a plus. - Ability to successfully manage complex information technology projects throughout the system development lifecycle. - Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications and familiarity with, SQL, Oracle and SharePoint. - Knowledge of human and financial resource planning and operations. - Understanding of legislative and regulatory requirements, policies and procedures affecting information technology program management, IT Governance etc. - PMP certification a plus.
As a prospective employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs and state repayment assistance programs. For more information, please visit the U.S. Department of Education’s website at https://studentaid.gov/pslf/.
New York City Residency is not required for this position
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Civil service title
IT PROJECT SPECIALIST
Number of positions
4 World Trade Center