Bronx Borough Planner
Bronx Borough Planner
This vacancy has now expired.
MUST BE SERVING PERMANENTLY IN THE TITLE OF CITY PLANNER OR REACHABLE ON THE CITY PLANNER CIVIL SERVICE LIST
The Department of City Planning (DCP) plans for the strategic growth and development of the City through ground-up planning with communities, the development of land use policies and zoning regulations applicable citywide and sharing its perspectives on growth and community needs with sister agencies in collaboration with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB).
DCP’s six strategic objectives include: (a) catalyze long-term neighborhood improvement through integrated planning and targeted accompanying public investments; (b) encourage housing production, affordability, and quality; (c) promote economic development and job growth; (d) enhance resiliency and sustainability of neighborhoods; (e) ensure integrity, timeliness and responsiveness in land use reviews; and, (f) supply objective data and expertise to a broad range of planning functions and stakeholders.
Central to its mission, DCP supports the City Planning Commission in its annual review of approximately 450 land use applications. The Department also works closely with OMB in developing the Ten-Year Capital Strategy, and helping administer the Neighborhood Development Fund, geared toward ensuring that growing neighborhoods undergoing rezoning have accompanying infrastructure investments.
The New York City Department of City Planning is a great place to work – cultivating intellectual inspiration, professional development, and creativity. Visit our website at www.nyc.gov/planning to access the full listing of job opportunities and to learn more about our great agency.
The Bronx has again reached its all-time population level, and by 2040, the borough is projected to grow by more than 200,000 residents, a 14% increase making it one of the fastest growing counties in New York State. The Bronx Office has a varied and dynamic work program focused on ensuring the borough has great neighborhoods, affordable housing, vibrant commercial and institutional centers, rich transit opportunities, and high-quality open space and waterfronts.
The Office is charged with the developing borough-wide and local plans, managing development projects subject to the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP), providing input to agency policy, and communicating policies effectively to an audience that includes the, City Planning Commission, elected officials, and local communities. The Bronx Office is responsible for a wide range of land-use planning, urban design, outreach, and policy implementation. The Office works in close consultation with the central divisions on borough-specific and city-wide issues.
The Bronx Borough Office of the Department of City Planning seeks a Borough Planner with a demonstrated success in research and graphic communications to assist in the implementation of its robust work program. The position is a unique opportunity to work closely with a team of planners tasked with planning for significant growth while balancing the existing needs of our diverse borough. The candidate should possess strong communication and project management skills and a desire to contribute to and create an engaging teamwork environment.
Under Supervision, the Borough Planner will:
- Review, analyze, and make recommendations on applications submitted to the Department pursuant to the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP) and coordinate this work with technical divisions of the department, other city agencies, community boards, elected officials, and the public
- Analyze site plans and development proposals to determine compliance with the City’s land use planning policies and NYC zoning Special District regulations
- Organize and prepare graphic and written materials, and present to the City Planning Commission, department staff, community boards, elected officials, and public agencies.
- Support neighborhood planning studies (including research analysis) and produce written technical reports and presentations
- Serve as Department liaison to one or more Bronx community boards
- Maintain a working knowledge of the NYC Zoning Resolution.
- Represent the department at meetings of civic, business and community groups, community boards, and public agencies; and
- Perform other related tasks.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and two years of satisfactory full-time experience in city planning; or
2. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to “1"" above. Graduate
education in city planning, urban planning, urban design, architecture, landscape architecture, transportation engineering, public administration, economic development or related fields may be substituted for experience on the basis of 30 graduate semester credits from an accredited college for one year of experience. However, all candidates must have a baccalaureate degree.
Special Qualification Requirements
Assignment Level III
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level III, individuals must have, after meeting the minimum requirements, one additional year of professional experience as described in "2" above.
Assignment Level IV
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level IV, individuals must have, after meeting the minimum requirements, two additional years of professional experience as described in "2" above.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills with ability to interact with a diverse range of individuals both in person and over the phone, applying tact and discretion as situations demand - Ability to self-manage, as well as project management skills, including the ability to complete tasks in a timely fashion with minimal supervision - Ability to lead meetings effectively and inclusively - Experience with ArcGIS mapping and analysis is strongly preferred - Experience with Adobe Creative Suite is preferred - Familiarity with zoning practices and principles - Candidates with Spanish proficiency are strongly encouraged to apply
This position is also open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate at the top of your resume and cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position through the 55-a Program.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Civil service title
Bronx Borough Planner
Number of positions
1775 Grand Concourse Bronx N.Y